Top Review by Soup Fly *
I absolutely LOVE this recipe. It is the ultimate in comfort food for me and the flavors blend so well. I was worried there wouldn't be enough liquid and it would be dry after baking, but it wasn't a problem. I do think I'll use 2 cans of tomatoes next time. Didn't have a bowl big enough, so I just mixed everything right in the pan then popped it in the oven. I needed to add salt, but DH thought it was fine as is. This is a keeper!!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided (8 oz)
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the macaroni, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, beans, tomatoes, green pepper and onion.
- Stir in beef, garlic powder, pepper flakes and pepper.
- Spoon into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.