1/4 Photos of Beef & Bean Khoresh (a Persian Beef Stew)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is simply lean beef and kidney beans in a delicious cinnamon and cumin-scented stew, with lots of parsley and chives and a splash of lemon juice. The unusual color is from turmeric, and it's best served with rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (2 tbsp. and 1 tbsp.)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan saute the onion in two tablespoons of the olive oil until golden.
- 2Add stewing beef and cook for ten minutes more, until meat is browned on all sides.
- 3Add the cumin, turmeric and cinnamon; cook for one minute, stirring, then add water and bring to a boil.
- 4Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Heat remaining one tablespooon of oil in a small frying pan and saute parsley and chives about 2 minutes; add this mixture to the beef.
- 6Also add the drained and rinsed kidney beans and lemon juice.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Stir in one tablespoon flour whisked with a bit of hot water to thicken the stew a little; simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes, until meat is wonderfully tender; serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef & Bean Khoresh (a Persian Beef Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.1
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 388.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 30.0 g