Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of our favorite cold weather "comfort" foods. I've been making it for many years. A lot of recipes with beans are not favorites of children....this is one of the exceptions. Our four children always liked it when they were at home....and wanted the recipe when they left! I copied it from a cookbook at the library in the 1950's. Corn muffins are the bread of choice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs German sausages, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 4 cups bean water (from soaking)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak beans overnight or by the quick soak method; reserve 4 Cups of the soaking water.
- In large skillet, over medium heat, lightly brown sausage in the oil; remove and set aside. In same skillet, lightly brown beef cubes; remove and add to the sausage; set aside.
- In large casserole or Dutch oven, mix all ingredients, except the tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Add undrained tomatoes; stir to combine and continue to bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.