Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Southern Living.
Make and share this Beef, Bean and Cornbread Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (6 ounce) package cornbread mix
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and pat with paper towels. Wipe dripping from skillet with a paper towel.
- Return beef mixture to skillet. Stir in tomato sauce and next 5 ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Pour into a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions using skim milk. Pour over beef mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
It was quick and easy, although the family didn't care for it too much Not sure why. We did use 12 ounce cornmeal as someone else suggested.
Quick, easy, and very tasty! The only change I made was to use a 12-ounce cornbread mix rather than 6 ounces, and it turned out just fine. We'll make this again.