A very good hearty soup, serve as a meal with crusty rolls. Freezes well.
Make and share this Beef Barley Veggy Soup - Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 cup green beans, sliced in half
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2⁄3 cup fresh frozen corn kernels or 2⁄3 cup fresh frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup bias sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Mix all ingredients in 4-5 quart crock pot slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8-9 hours or until veggies and barley are tender.
Another good one Dorothy. I love barley and beef goes with it naturally. Next time I will try it with beef stock instead of just water. Thanks for another one Dorothy
This stew is delish--I have made it twice and both times it took only about 7 hours to cook. I used venison instead of beef and substituted 3/4 c. of the water with 3/4 c. of a dark beer for flavor and tenderizer. YUM!
I left out the water and used 5, 14-1/2 oz cans of beef broth, just because we like a soup with lots of liquid. I only had regular tomatoes, so I added 2 T minced garlic. This is wonderful! SO much flavor! It made a large pot full, so I froze enough for another meal. Thanks for a great recipe, Dorothy! :-)