Recipe by Katha
Got this from my Mom who is a wonderful cook. Adding a few new things & omiting a few. This is great on a cold day.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This was very good Katha!... and a nice change from rice I made this with ground chicken but used only 1-1/2 pounds, and fresh mushrooms. It probably could have used a bit more water, but the barley seemed to swell even more upon sitting, so it worked out just fine. Thanks for posting...Kittencal:)
- 3 lbs ground beef or 3 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 onions, chopped (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 quarts tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix Ground beef with pepper.
- In a large saucepan add oil, beef & onions.
- Separating beef into pieces.
- Cook about 5 min stirring occasionally.
- Stir in celery, chili powder, tomato juice & water.
- Simmer covered about 2 hours.
- Skim excess fat off.
- Stir in barley & cook covered 1 1/2 hours.
- Add drained mushrooms just before serving Serve in soup bowls or over toasted buns.
- Makes 3 1/2 quarts of stew.