Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is written to use easy ingredients but does take a while to cook. This is really good on the second day.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 cups onions, chopped (I use frozen)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced (I use pre-cut fresh carrot chips)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into small chunks
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth, low sodium
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup barley, uncooked (Don't use the quick cook style)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In oven-safe dutch oven, heat oil over med high heat and brown beef. Remove to a plate.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to pan. Saute for several minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine.
- Add broth, tomatoes, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Place covered dutch oven in oven. Cook 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add barley, continue cooking for 60 minutes or until barley is tender. Add more water if needed.