Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use lean beef and low-sodium broth makes this dish good for your heart!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Brown meat and onion in oil.
- Put into a deep pan along with the broth, barley, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, pepper and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until carrots and barley are tender.
- Add parsley before serving.
The stew had a good flavor, except I thought the barley was a little overpowering. I will make it again, but will only use 1/2 cup barley and I will add another onion.