Perfect comfort soup in a bowl. A great way to use up any leftover beef from Sunday roast, or that piece of steak.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped mixed mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef powder bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chicken powder bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marmite
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup green giant* frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup shredded cooked beef
- •Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic, mushrooms,celery, carrots. salt and pepper in oil 5 minutes.
- •Spoon mixture into 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in vegetables, barley and broth, powders. Worcestershire sauce and Marmite.
- •Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- •Increase heat setting to High. Stir in frozen vegetables,tomato paste and meat. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
This was excellent and easy . just put in crockpot and forget it. Thanks