Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This has been a favorite recipe in our family for years.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled,cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) canregular stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- Cut beef stew meat into bite size pieces.
- Cook beef and onion in 3 Tbs oil in large soup pot until beef is brown.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in the garlic and heat for another minute.
- Add the broth, water, barley, paprika, salt, caraway seed, and marjoram.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, mushrooms (with liquid), potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat: cover and simmer until the vegetables are done to your taste. 30- 45 minutes.
Great soup! I omitted the caraway seeds and used fresh mushrooms, but followed the rest of the recipe (hence the four stars - when I make substitutions, I don't feel I can give five stars because I haven't followed the recipe exactly). Quick, but it tasted like it had simmered for hours. Hubby had three helpings! A great winter treat. I will make again, and will adapt for the crockpot.