Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was a gift from my sister. I used to make this soup a lot when I was a stay-at-home mom and still like to cook up a pot occasionally on the weekend when short ribs are on special.
- 907.18 g short rib of beef
- 1182.95 ml water
- 453.59 g can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 14.79 ml instant beef bouillon granules
- 9.85 ml salt
- 3.69 ml dried basil, crumbled
- 473.18 ml sliced carrots
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 177.44 ml chopped green pepper
- 158.51 ml quick-cooking barley
- 59.14 ml snipped parsley
- In Dutch oven slowly brown short ribs on all sides; drain off excess fat.
- Add water, undrained tomatoes, onion, bouillion granules, salt, and basil.
- Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery, green pepper, barley, and parsley.
- Simmer, covered, 45 minutes more.
- Remove meat and bones.
- Chop meat; discard bones.
- Skim excess fat from soup.
- Return meat to soup; heat through.