Recipe by Irmgard
I found this recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was a gift from my sister. I used to make this soup a lot when I was a stay-at-home mom and still like to cook up a pot occasionally on the weekend when short ribs are on special.
- 2 lbs short rib of beef
- 5 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 cup snipped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven slowly brown short ribs on all sides; drain off excess fat.
- Add water, undrained tomatoes, onion, bouillion granules, salt, and basil.
- Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery, green pepper, barley, and parsley.
- Simmer, covered, 45 minutes more.
- Remove meat and bones.
- Chop meat; discard bones.
- Skim excess fat from soup.
- Return meat to soup; heat through.