Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a simple, but tasty, adaptation of a number of different versions of Beef Barley Soup, leaving out all of the junk that I don't like (like lima beans!) Cooking time varies with the quality of the beef, and also the barley used, and how tender you like it.
- 8 -10 ounces boneless round steak, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans condensed beef broth
- 7 cups water, approximately
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Brown the beef cubes, onions, and mushrooms in a small amount of oil in a large saucepan, then add the vegetables, broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer till the beef and barley are tender.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste, and serve.