Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is a hearty winter soup and makes a great leftovers (if there's any left). I altered a recipe from a box of barley to suit my family's taste. It's a great cold winter day meal.
- 1⁄2 lb beef sirloin steak, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup medium barley
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package mixed vegetables
- In a 4-quart saucepan, brown meat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables.
- Cover, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook about 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Note: Add more water if soup becomes too thick upon standing.