Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Beefy barley soup loaded with vegetables.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 ounces tomato paste, 1/2 small can
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine, white can be used too
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups beef stock, homemade preferred but packaged is fine
- In a large skillet brown onions and beef, do not crowd, do in batches if needed.
- In a stock pot, put 3 cups of water with the barley, garlic, basil, salt and bay leaf.
- Add browned beef and onions to stock pot.
- Deglaze skillet with wine and add to stock pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cover, simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add Worcestershire, carrots, celery, tomato paste and beef stock.
- bring back to simmer, cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add corn bring back to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 to 1 tsp fresh ground pepper if desired, taste and adjust salt to your taste.