1/1 Photo of Beef Barley Soup
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Riverside Len's Note:
Beefy barley soup loaded with vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 ounces tomato paste, 1/2 small can
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine, white can be used too
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups beef stock, homemade preferred but packaged is fine
- 1In a large skillet brown onions and beef, do not crowd, do in batches if needed.
- 2In a stock pot, put 3 cups of water with the barley, garlic, basil, salt and bay leaf.
- 3Add browned beef and onions to stock pot.
- 4Deglaze skillet with wine and add to stock pot.
- 5Bring to a simmer and cover, simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 6Add Worcestershire, carrots, celery, tomato paste and beef stock.
- 7bring back to simmer, cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 8Add corn bring back to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9Add 1/2 to 1 tsp fresh ground pepper if desired, taste and adjust salt to your taste.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 1086.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 22.6 g