Recipe by Aroostook
This recipe is a standby in our family. Sometimes we even use "mountain" beef in this recipe.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
I made this a few weeks ago and it is very tasty! I substituted beef broth for the tomato juice and water (5 cups) and added some diced turnip I wanted to use up, threw in a few stems of fresh summer savoury and that was my version of your delicious, easy soup! Beef & Barley soup is great on a chilly day!
- 2 -4 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 medium carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 2 - 2 1/2 cups) (optional)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 16 ounces stewing beef, diced
- extra water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven or fry pan heat oil; Roll beef cubes in flour and (in small batches) brown in oil and set aside.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms in the same oil for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- (This will help deglaze the pan and give the soup a nice rich color).
- Place beef, vegetable in a soup pot.
- Add tomato juice, water, barley, and S&P to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer barley soup for 60 or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.