Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was inspired by other beef barley soups, but didn't like the idea of the frozen vegetables taking away from the hearty flavors. This soup is extremely filling and WW friendly-only 3 pts!! (Calculated on WW site)
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 226.79 g sliced mushrooms
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 793.78 g diced tomatoes
- 793.78 g beef broth
- 340.19 g tomato sauce
- 158.51 ml barley, uncooked
- Soak 2/3 cups barley overnight. Drain water, run fresh to rinse off, drain, and let sit until ready to use.
- In a large soup pot, combine ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook until beef is ALMOST done.
- Add pre-soaked barley, thyme, black pepper, and stir till combined.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a strong boil for about 30 mins, covered.
- Reduce heat to simmer, continue to cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!