Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very hearty, vegetable filled beef barley soup recipe. Tons of flavor. I ran a cafe and this soup was always gone right away. Low in fat, was actually a recipe for a nursing home. Sure doesn't taste like it! Please note that all the seasoning are dried as our local grocery store does not carry fresh herbs.
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 1 gallon water
- 4 ounces beef base
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, diced (I pureed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 0.667 (1 1/16 lb) bag pearl barley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- Brown beef with onion.
- Drain any excess fat & could rinse off if want to really get fat out.
- Add to large pot with the water and beef base and seasonings.
- Start heating it up while chopping all the veggies.
- Add veggies as you go.
- Rinse off the barley and put in the soup.
- Let simmer very low for 2-3 hours for best results.
- Will want to stir often as it will stick.
- I often keep adding water and more beef base as needed to keep it to the right consistency because it will thicken up as the water evaporates while simmering.