Recipe by papergoddess
Hearty, easy one dish meal that cooks itself while you're gone. Serve with salad and bread, and you have a whole meal.
Top Review by Charlotte J
I think we are all going to bust!! This was great and easy to make. I did not brown the beef in the skillet like you said just lazy I guess. I started my crockpot on high for 1 hour then turned it down to low for 7. We love how thick it came out in the end. I think you could add more hot water if you'd like yours not as thick. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 2 lbs beef round steak or 2 lbs beef chuck, diced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 2⁄3 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet brown beef.
- Place carrot, celery, green pepper, onion, corn and green beans in crock pot.
- Put meat on top.
- Combine tomatoes, barley, parsley, bouillon, salt and basil.
- Pour over meat.
- Add water.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours.