Recipe by Cul_de_sac_Barbie
This is an easy, after work, soup, with really good flavor. I got it from Taste of Home magazine.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made half the recipe and used low-sodium beef broth/water in place of bouillon. Also used a small cubed potato. Needed to add a little more water to keep it soupy. Very tasty and easy. Thanks for sharing Barbie. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups water
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides, drain.
- Add the water, celery, carrots, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the barley and simmer for 45 minutes longer or until barley is tender.