Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I adore this recipe, I have made it with beef and lamb leftovers. This recipe was given to me by my friend, Terrilee.
- Combine barley, salt and 4 cups boiling water in a pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 - 40 minutes until barley is tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water till cool.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat margarine and sauté vegetables until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef, 10 cups of water, bouillon cubes pepper and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add barley and simmer 10 minutes longer.
Delicious! I had some brisket leftover and didn't feel like having sandwiches so when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. I am glad I did because it was fantastic. Thank you.
This is a very nice soup, I made it with beef broth that I had from a pot roast and I omitted the garlic, as DH claims not to like it in soup what a fuss pot! The barley was nice and chewy just as we like it and the veg combination was perfect. I will be making it again as it looks like the weather isn't going to get any warmer for a while yet and this is a very warming comforting soup. Thanks for posting made for January warm up's 2011
great soup! I went will all 10 cups beef broth and omitted the bouillon cubes, I also sauteed 8 cloves minced fresh garlic and 2 teaspoon crushed chili flakes with the veggies, I omitted the garlic powder, made as a take home meal for my DS and was enjoyed, thanks for sharing Lorrie!