Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
I adore this recipe, I have made it with beef and lamb leftovers. This recipe was given to me by my friend, Terrilee.
Top Review by Katanashrp
Delicious! I had some brisket leftover and didn't feel like having sandwiches so when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. I am glad I did because it was fantastic. Thank you.
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup diced cooked beef
- 10 cups water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine barley, salt and 4 cups boiling water in a pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 - 40 minutes until barley is tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water till cool.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat margarine and sauté vegetables until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef, 10 cups of water, bouillon cubes pepper and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add barley and simmer 10 minutes longer.