Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
One to crawl up by the fire with.... Ohhh so good.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 cups tomatoes or 2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- no-salt-added beef broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- salt & pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- In large saucepan, place meat, tomato juice, celery, carrots, salt and pepper to taste and bay leaves. Add beef stock to cover.
- Cook until meat is soft and tender, approximately an hour.
- Remove meat. Cut into small pieces and return to pot.
- Add barley. Cook 15-30 minutes more, or until barley is tender.
I made half the recipe for lunch. Next time I'm making the whole thing and I will have extra to freeze and enjoy later. This is a tasty heartwarming soup. YUM! Thanks for sharing kimschmee. Made for PAC Spring 2010.