Recipe by andypandy
this uses quick cooking barley, can use pearl or pot barley, just put in a little sooner than the vegies.
Top Review by Gerry
Enjoyed the first pot of this delicious soup way back in November. We love soup, with Beef and Barley being one of our favorites.Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. This is an excellent recipe for soup with that old fashioned flavor. Thank you andypandy for another of your great tasting recipes.
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed,cut 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 quarts beef stock or 60 ounces beef broth
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme (1 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot over med.
- heat braise the beef cubes in the oil for 6 minutes.
- Add the onion, and keep browning for 12 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, tomatoes, and cover.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper, celery, and barley.
- Add the worcestrshire sauce, pepper, and salt.
- Simmer another 30 minutes, or until vegies and tender, and barley is cooked.
- Just before serving, about 8 minutes before add the thyme and parsley-- Serve with warm crusty bread.