Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A hotch potch of various recipes I have come across. Its a great low-fat and filling meal. If I weren't on a low GI diet, I would've added some carrots which would have added a nice sweetness to the dish.
- 250 g shin beef, cubed (or similar cuts for stewing)
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large red onions, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 -3 cups water (depending on how thick you like the soup to be)
- Heat a non-stick pan on high heat with oil. Toss in onions and garlic, fry for about 2 minutes before adding in the beef. Brown the beef on all sides, then add the tomatoes and thyme inches
- Pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for an hour. Season with salt and black pepper. Lastly add in pearl barley and simmer for further 45 minutes or until beef is tender.