Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious savory soup that freezes well. Recipe from Jeany Coughran submitted into 1st UMC Centennial Cookbook, Abilene, TX
- 1 lb round steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato with juice, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, chopped
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- Brown meat in oil. Add salt & parsley flakes.
- Add the 2 quarts hot water & simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Next add barley & cook another 45 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, & cut up tomatoes with juice.
- Cook 1 hour & add peas. Simmer another 15 minutes & serve.