Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
One dish meal
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, broken up
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Saute in skillet first four ingredients.
- Drain off excess fat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 35 minutes for quick cooking barley or 1 hour for pearl barley.
This is one of my favourite go to recipes. I replaced the water with beef broth to give it a little more flavour. It's one of those recipes that always seems to turn out, easy to make but it looks like you slaved in the kitchen.
Super recipe! Served over mashed potatoes with a side of roast asparagus. Skipped the celery and added extra peppers. Used Goya barley and it was perfectly soft after 30 min. So good, reminded me a little of shepherd's pie filling with a kick from the chilli sauce. Thanks for the keeper!
Very, very yummy! I used leftover roast beef and fresh tomatoes rather than canned, but otherwise followed this recipe exactly. It was just barely enough for our family of 5. A great way to use up leftover roast, for sure!