Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a quick and easy homemade beef vegetable soup.
- 1⁄2-1 lb cubed beef
- mixed vegetables
- fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- onion (chopped)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic (finely minced)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 -2 tablespoon beef base
- Place beef in a stock pan.
- Pour enough water in to cover beef.
- Simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.
- Add all ingredients except barley.
- Cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Add barley and simmer for about 1/2 hour more.
One of our favourite soups, beef barley, this was a good one. I must say though that I changed a bit of method type of ingredients. I used fresh veggies, celery, carrots and rutabega with the mushrooms. And I used regular barley, had no quick cooking barley also use beef broth instead of water. Turned out delicious, I put the veggies and barley in for the last hour. We loved the additon of mushrooms to beef barley soup.