Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The fresh vegetables give this a wonderful flavor. Very simple and can be made in the crockpot for an easy dish.
- 12 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons beef base
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef, cubed (about 13oz., does not include weight of bones if including)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 2 small)
- 2 large carrots, chopped (or 3 small)
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up, include sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas (or fresh)
- 1 cup barley
- Stovetop: Let soup base fully dissolve in water. Add all ingredients except the peas and barley. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Add peas and barley and continue cooking 1 hour.
- Crockpot: Cook ingredients on low overnight and/or throughout the day. Turn to high and add peas and barley for last hour.
- I usually use stew meat or round steaks for this recipe. Less expensive cuts of meat actually have more flavor than expensive cuts do and are great in soup.
- This is a very forgiving recipe. You can change the recipe to suit your taste, or what you have on hand. Can substitute rice or pasta for the barley, just be sure to adjust the amount and cooking times of these accordingly. You can also add, or omit, any vegetables you desire. Just make sure to include the celery, onions and carrots which is the base of the vegetable flavor in this soup. If you decide to use bullion instead of the soup base you may want to leave out the salt as it is pretty salty.
- Bones give soup a wonderful flavor, so if you buy a cut of meat that has a bone do not discard it. Throw it in the pot and remove it before serving along with the bay leaves.
- Bon appetit!
I made this soup for my DH who has been sick and has a picky appetite right now. He really enjoyed it. It was easy and I used the ingredients I had on hand: leftover meat and veggies that are staples in most refrigerators. Excellent. Thanks, Ginger Snap, for a recipe I will be using again!!
Wonderful! I made this soup for my husband and the workers at his Post Office. They all LOVED it! Everyone had to have copies of the recipe. Thank you so much!
A wonderful, hearty soup! Everyone enjoyed it. As you said it was forgiving I did make some changes to suit what I had on hand. I used quite a bit more beef, tossed it in flour and browned it. I used crushed tomatoes instead of whole and beef bouliion cubes instead of base. I also used a mix of corn and peas and simmered it in the crockpot. The result was very flavourful and filling. Thank you for a great soup recipe!