Rassolnik is a strange and classic soup made with barley, beef, pow-taters, carrots, and… pickles? You mean cucumbers, right? Nope, pickles as in dill pickles in a jar. That’s right! It’s hearty and the beef is tender and satisfying. It’s strangely good with the pickles. Did you know Rassolnik has existed for more than 500 years? This pickle soup is definitely a comfort food to many Russians.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups water
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup barley, rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, more to taste
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into rings
- 6 baby pickles (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finel sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill, but very nice (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream, and extra dill to serve
- 1In a large pot, partially cover with lid and cook 12 cups water, beef and barley with 1/2 Tbsp salt (30 min). Skim off any impurities that rise to the top to keep your soup clear.
- 2Sautee pickles with 1 Tbsp oil for a few minutes on medium/high heat. Add pickles, potatoes and sliced carrots to the pot and cook for an additional 10 min while making your Mirepoix “zazharka” in step.
- 3Mirepoix/Zazharka: Add 3 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and sauté onion (2 min), then add grated carrot and sliced celery and continue to saute until carrots are soft (5 min). Stir 1 Tbsp tomato paste or ketchup into the pan and add this mixture to the soup pot.
- 4Toss in 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 Tbsp dill and more salt to taste. Continue to simmer for another 2 minutes or until your potatoes are fully cooked and can be easily pieced with a fork.
- 5Some people eat it with a dollop of sour cream,.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef, Barley and Pickle Soup (Rassolnik)
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 639.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 9.3 g