Recipe by Rita~
This is a (stew like)comforting, thick and hearty soup with deep, rich, earthy, smokey flavor.
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Great soup. I made half a recipe using dried shiitake and fresh button mushrooms. I did add another 1/2 c. water as it was getting a bit thick for us. I did have to cook it longer than one hour for the barley to be done but the flavors blended beautifully.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 118.29 ml diced celery
- 118.29 ml diced carrot
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 59.14 ml dried funghi porcini, stems discarded
- 59.14 ml dried shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 453.59 g beef, cubed
- 453.59 g ground beef or 453.59 g ground turkey
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, diced
- 1419.54 ml water, if possible bottled or filtered
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.79 ml beef base
- 85.04 g tomato paste
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 118.29 ml barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pot heat oil and saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots to slightly wilted.
- Season beef cubes generously with salt and pepper then add to onion mixture to brown.
- Remove mushrooms and rough cut reserve the strained liquid.
- Add ground meat, chipotle pepper, and chopped mushrooms to pot and brown.
- Add to the 6 cups of water strained liquid from mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, beef base, and tomato paste stir to blend and add to pot along with the oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer an hour.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.