Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a (stew like)comforting, thick and hearty soup with deep, rich, earthy, smokey flavor.
Make and share this Beef, Barley and Dried Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dried funghi porcini, stems discarded
- 1⁄4 cup dried shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 1 lb beef, cubed
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, diced
- 6 cups water, if possible bottled or filtered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pot heat oil and saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots to slightly wilted.
- Season beef cubes generously with salt and pepper then add to onion mixture to brown.
- Remove mushrooms and rough cut reserve the strained liquid.
- Add ground meat, chipotle pepper, and chopped mushrooms to pot and brown.
- Add to the 6 cups of water strained liquid from mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, beef base, and tomato paste stir to blend and add to pot along with the oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer an hour.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.