1/5 Photos of Beef, Barley and Dried Mushroom Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a (stew like)comforting, thick and hearty soup with deep, rich, earthy, smokey flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried funghi porcini, stems discarded
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 1 lb beef, cubed
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, diced
- 6 cups water, if possible bottled or filtered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover set aside.
- 2In a large heavy bottom pot heat oil and saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots to slightly wilted.
- 3Season beef cubes generously with salt and pepper then add to onion mixture to brown.
- 4Remove mushrooms and rough cut reserve the strained liquid.
- 5Add ground meat, chipotle pepper, and chopped mushrooms to pot and brown.
- 6Add to the 6 cups of water strained liquid from mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, beef base, and tomato paste stir to blend and add to pot along with the oregano and bay leaves.
- 7Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 8Add barley and simmer an hour.
- 9Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef, Barley and Dried Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 674.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried funghi porcini
dried shiitake mushrooms
chipotle chiles in adobo