Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Found in response to an online request, this recipe sounds like something I want to try... so am posting it so I can find it!
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups assorted dried navy beans or 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried black-eyed peas or 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried lima beans or 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried kidney beans or 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried pink beans or 1 1⁄2-2 cups some of the heirloom dried beans, rinsed and soaked overnight, then rinsed again
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat or 2 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 4 carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes (or 3 T chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed or 2 sprigs fresh dill
- black pepper, to taste
- tomato paste
- Heat oil in large soup pot, sauté onion and beef until brown, add vegetables and continue to sauté for 2 minutes, add remaining spices and barley. Stir and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables (optional) and tomato paste (optional) and enough water to bring volume to about 6 quarts. Bring to a slow simmer and simmer for 12 hours. Remove fat.
- This can be eaten after 4 or 5 hours, but it improves with longer cooking.