Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Source: Grandma Gardiner. Stove top method of making barbecue.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pint tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb beef, cubed (can use leftover roast)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup beer (optional) or 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- Mix all in a saucepan and cook for approximately 4 hours, stirring often.
- Serve on hamburger rolls topped with coleslaw.
I had a steak that I thought was going to be a bit too tough "as is" and saw this recipe on one of the forums; it seemed the perfect way to use that steak. I just made it today and made only one change to the recipe (I added a T of Hoisin Sauce). I found it very easy to make and it's nice because all the ingredients are things one is likely to always have on hand. It came out great! I served it over rice, since I didn't have any hamburger buns and it was a perfect combination. I'll definitely be making it again.
This was absolutely delicious! I followed the cooking directions to the letter, using everything plus the optional garlic and ended up using the 1/4 cup beer since I didn't have the red wine on hand. The only beef I had in the freezer was cube steak so I used that. What I got , didn't really scream for me to put it on buns,there was alot of extra juice, but screamed more for me to mix with cooked macaroni and top with some shredded cheese LOL It was fantastic!!!! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! Delicious! :)