Recipe by Chef Shadows
Source: Grandma Gardiner. Stove top method of making barbecue.
Top Review by Possumgirl (Randy)
I had a steak that I thought was going to be a bit too tough "as is" and saw this recipe on one of the forums; it seemed the perfect way to use that steak. I just made it today and made only one change to the recipe (I added a T of Hoisin Sauce). I found it very easy to make and it's nice because all the ingredients are things one is likely to always have on hand. It came out great! I served it over rice, since I didn't have any hamburger buns and it was a perfect combination. I'll definitely be making it again.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pint tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb beef, cubed (can use leftover roast)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup beer (optional) or 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)