Recipe by Lvs2Cook
JoAnn Merrill's excellent recipe for beef barbecue. Plan ahead -- it takes some time to make. I've served this at parties to rave reviews and no leftovers. If there are leftovers, they can be frozen and reheated at 50% power until hot. This recipe cannot be made in a crockpot since there is no evaporation of liquids in a crockpot.
- 4 lbs beef stew meat, small cubes
- 30 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all in a VERY large heavy pot. Simmer uncovered over low heat until beef falls to shreds, stirring occasionally. This will take 5 to 6 hours, watch carefully the last hour that it is not sticking. Mixture should be very thick. The mixture fills a large pot before cooking but becomes a small amount by the time it is cooked.
- While cooking, chopped green peppers, celery carrots and a bay leaf may be added.
- Serve on hamburger buns.