Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This is a recipe I used to make at work based loosely (very loosely) on strogonoff.
- 750 g chuck steaks, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (440 g) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water or 1 cup white wine
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- Brown the steak in the oil, in batches.
- Fry the onion and bacon until the onion is transparent.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook'til they are softened.
- Return the meat and any juices to the pan, add the soup, water or wine, tomato paste and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole and bake in a moderate oven for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream just before serving, and scatter over plenty of parsley to finish.