Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love this when the fresh asparagus is in season. Sometimes I throw in some onion wedges or a red capsicum for colour with the asparagus. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 500 g rump steak
- 40 ml soy sauce
- 20 ml dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chile, seeded and chopped
- 12 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5 cm pieces
- 40 ml peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Trim the meat, and slice across the grain evenly into long, thin strips.
- Combine the soy, sherry, ginger, sesame oil, garlic and chilli; add the meat stirring to coat and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Drain the meat, reserving the marinade.
- Heat 20ml of oil in a wok or heavy-based frying pan, add the asparagus and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the wok.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok, cook the meat quickly in small batches over high heat until browned but not cooked through.
- Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- Blend the cornstarch with the reserved marinade until smooth.
- Return asparagus and meat to wok with marinade mixture.
- Stir-fry over high heat until meat is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Serve at once.
Wonderful!! My family really enjoyed this! I added green onions with the asparagus. Thanks for the recipe.
I used a bit more meat than called for in the recipe so I ended up with no marinade left over. At the end of the cooking process I used some sherry and soy sauce and then added the cornstarch. It was pretty salty, next time I would probably just use some beef stock instead.
Perfect for a quick dinner! Hubby rang and told me he was one hour away from home and really hungry. So I prepared the meat and cut up the asparagus straight away and when he arrived came home it only took about seven minute to cook. I also added red onions as suggested and he said it was fantastic. I think you could add any veggies on hand. Thank you JustJanS