Shabu Shabu means swish swish, the movement of stirring skewered meats and veggies in a broth. This is interactive food at its best! This is very similar to fondue, minus the cheese and chocolate. This recipe appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune, reprinted from Fondue. They say to use a wok or fondue pot, but if you don't have one, improvise!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 cups beef broth
- 2 lbs well-marbled sirloin or 2 lbs prime beef, sliced paper thin
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, trimmed and cut in half if large
- 8 green onions, included tops, cut diagonally into 1 1/2 -inch lengths
- 1/2 small napa cabbage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 small spinach leaves
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1 1/4 -inch cubes
- 6 ounces udon noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion, including tops, for garnish
- ponzu sauce or teriyaki sauce or peanut sauce
- 1Fill an electric wok or fondue pot two-thirds full of broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile arrange beef slices, mushrooms, green onion pieces, cabbage, spinach and tofu on a platter and place at the table. Set out sauces in small bowls.
- 3Place pieces of mushroom, green onion pieces and cabbage on skewers or forks. Cook in broth 1 to 2 minutes. Add meat, spinach and tofu. Cook 2 more minutes. Remove from broth and dip in desired sauce before eating.
- 4When diners have had their fill of meat and vegetables, add noodles to broth and heat through. Sprinkle with chopped green onions. Ladle noodles and broth into soup bowls.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Veggie Shabu Shabu
Serving Size: 1 (577 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 816.6
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 153.0 mg
- Sodium 1810.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 62.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: