Recipe by Noo
This classic can be cooked in a crock pot or a conventional oven. Either way you get a great tasting meal with minimal effort.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 stalks sliced celery
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) candrained tomatoes
- 1⁄4 pint water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 pint red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- beef gravy granules
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 3 ounces suet
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non stick pan, brown the steak in batches and place in crock pot or casserole dish. Then add the carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion.
- Combine the tomatoes, water, stock cubes, wine, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour into the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours approximately If you are not using a crock pot, cover the casserole and place in a moderate oven for 1 1/2-2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl; add suet, parsley, salt and pepper. Add about 3 tbsp water to make a soft but not sticky dough. With floured hands roll dough into 8 balls.
- Add the dumplings 30-40 minutes before the end of cooking time and cook on a high setting.
- On completion of cooking, thicken the sauce with gravy granules if desired (or needed) for a rich beefy flavour.