Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Posted for ZWT7-Central and South America. I found this on alleasyrecipes.com.
Make and share this Beef and Vegetable Stew With Fresh Corn (Cocido Bogotano) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs boneless stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices and then into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 4 medium carrots, cut 1/4-inch x 1/2-inch strips
- 4 trimmed celery ribs, washed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 lb fresh green peas, shelled (or 1 cup defrosted frozen peas)
- 4 ears corn, shucked and cut into 2-inch lengths
- In a heavy 3- to 4-qt. flameproof casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat, tipping the casserole to coat the bottom evenly. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes, then add the meat, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, turmeric, garlic, salt and peppercorns, and pour in the water and vinegar. Reduce the heat to its lowest point, cover the casserole and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery, turning them about in the liquid to moisten them well. Cover the pot and cook 20 minutes longer.
- Drop in the peas and corn, cover again, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the meat is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife and the vegetables are done. Taste for seasoning and serve directly from the casserole.