1 hr 20 mins
Combination of two recipes from "Cookery the Australian Way". Makes a big lasagne or 2 small ones. Recipe freezes well for --1 month when cooked; can be stored longer if final lasagne layer and cheese sauce are not added. This can be easily translated to a vegetarian lasagne by leaving out the meat sauce (will only need --150g lasagne and half of cheese sauce), or by substituting a bean or lentil based mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 g minced beef
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup meat stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach, thawed
- 300 g lasagna noodles, instant or cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- 2Heat oil, saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- 3Remove approx half to a saucepan, heat and add mushrooms, canned tomatoes, zucchini, 1 tablespoon of the tomato paste, carrot, pepper and basil.
- 4Stir over a low heat for 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- 5Meanwhile, add minced beef to the remaining onion and garlic and stir till pink colour is gone.
- 6Add fresh tomatoes, remaining tomato paste and stock and simmer 10 mins or until cheese sauce completed.
- 7Melt butter in a saucepan, remove from heat.
- 8Add flour, stir with a wooden spoon.
- 9Replace on low heat and heat for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- 10Remove from heat and add milk gradually, stirring vigourously, until smooth.
- 11Replace on heat and stir till boiling.
- 12Reduce heat and stir 1 minute.
- 13Add mustard, stir well, remove from heat and add 1/2 cup grated cheese. Put lid on saucepan.
- 14Place a layer of vegetable sauce on bottom of a large lasagne pan.
- 15Cover sauce with lasagne noodles, then spinach, then meat sauce, then noodles again.
- 16Continue with layers until used up. Final layer should be lasagne.
- 17Cover with cheese sauce and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- 18Bake for 30 mins until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Vegetable Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.6
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.1 mg
- Sodium 366.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: