Recipe by Bungy
Combination of two recipes from "Cookery the Australian Way". Makes a big lasagne or 2 small ones. Recipe freezes well for --1 month when cooked; can be stored longer if final lasagne layer and cheese sauce are not added. This can be easily translated to a vegetarian lasagne by leaving out the meat sauce (will only need --150g lasagne and half of cheese sauce), or by substituting a bean or lentil based mix.
Top Review by morgainegeiser
This turned out quite good, I enjoyed all the veggies in the meal. I split the recipe in 1/2 and made half with meat and half without meat. My husband enjoyed the meat version and I enjoyed the veggie version. I am still not sure why this recipe has milk in it, it doesn't seem to need it. The only other thing I did not like is that it had numerous ingredients - I am a six of less ingredient type person. I feel that not everything called for in this recipe is necessary.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 g minced beef
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup meat stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach, thawed
- 300 g lasagna noodles, instant or cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 cup cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Heat oil, saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Remove approx half to a saucepan, heat and add mushrooms, canned tomatoes, zucchini, 1 tablespoon of the tomato paste, carrot, pepper and basil.
- Stir over a low heat for 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, add minced beef to the remaining onion and garlic and stir till pink colour is gone.
- Add fresh tomatoes, remaining tomato paste and stock and simmer 10 mins or until cheese sauce completed.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, remove from heat.
- Add flour, stir with a wooden spoon.
- Replace on low heat and heat for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add milk gradually, stirring vigourously, until smooth.
- Replace on heat and stir till boiling.
- Reduce heat and stir 1 minute.
- Add mustard, stir well, remove from heat and add 1/2 cup grated cheese. Put lid on saucepan.
- Place a layer of vegetable sauce on bottom of a large lasagne pan.
- Cover sauce with lasagne noodles, then spinach, then meat sauce, then noodles again.
- Continue with layers until used up. Final layer should be lasagne.
- Cover with cheese sauce and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 mins until cheese is melted and golden brown.