Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice looking small pie to pass around at a party or serve with a salad for a meal, from Super Food Ideas. Haven't allowed for resting times in the times given.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (see notes at end or directions)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- cooking spray (olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Grease a 12 hole, 1/3 cup capacity muffin pan.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and add onion and garlic and cook stirring for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add mince and cook breaking up mince with a wooden spoon for 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through,.
- Add the vegetables, barbecue sauce and tomato paste and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place 1 sheet of filo on a flat surface and spray with oil and then top with another sheet of filo and repeat layering until you have 4 sheets of pastry.
- Cut filo stack in half lengthways and cut each piece into thirds and press each piece into 6 holes of prepared pan, allowing overhang and now repeat with remaining 4 sheets of filo.
- Divide mince mixture between pastry cases and then fold edges over filling to enclose and spray with oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.
- Stand for 2 minutes and serve with a salad or pass around as individual pies.
- NOTE 1 - They used a carrot, peas, capsicum, onion and corn frozen vegetable mix.
- NOTE 2 - Pies are best made just before serving.
- NOTE 3 - Filo pastry dries out quickly on contact with air, cover with a damp tea towel to prevent it drying and cracking.