Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This looks like a great soup to stay warm with. This is from the my latest issue of taste of home healthy. serving = 1 1/2 cups and is equal to about 270 calories and 9 g fat.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen beef tortellini
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 teaspoons butter; remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, thyme, pepper, salt and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortellini; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Really tasty soup, I used beef stock and didnt use the extra flour to thicken it, it was perfect. I sprinkled with grated cheese and served with warmed crusty bread rolls.
Outstanding flavor in this soup! We just loved it and will enjoy the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I had to use cheese tortellini as the grocery store I went to only had that. I'm sure it is good with both! I served this with some crusty rolls for a satisfying dinner. Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag.