Recipe by Ginny Sue
A great stuffed shells recipe that is filled with ground beef instead of the usual cheese stuffing. I modified this slightly from a recipe I found in a Southern Living cookbook.
- 24 large pasta shells, uncooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 (7 ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, DRAINED
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook shells in boiling water to desired doneness; rinse in cool water and drain.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet until brown and crumbly; drain.
- Add pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper; set aside.
- Combine beef broth, drained dried tomatoes, pesto, and garlic in blender; cover and process until well blended into a smooth puree.
- Stir tomato mixture into beef mixture.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoonful of ground beef mixture into each shell.
- Arrange shells in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and wine, and pour evenly over shells.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese, and bake and additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.