Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tofu is the mashed potatoes of Asia. It's not just for vegetarians. It soaks up beef juices and becomes wonderfully flavorful.
- 1 lb beef, thinly sliced and cut into 1 by 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 green onions, trimmed,cut in 1 inch diagonal pieces
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut in cubes or rectangles (NOT silky)
- 1 lb fresh green asparagus, ends trimmed,cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces,with the tips kept separate
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about a 1 inch cube,grated
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch to Americans, NOT cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium beef broth or 3⁄4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste if broth is salty)
- Bring 2 to 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When it is boiling rapidly, add all the asparagus EXCEPT the tips.
- When the water begins boiling again, add the tips, and boil for about 1 minute.
- The aim is for the asparagus to still be crunchy, so judge cooking time by whether it is thin or thick.
- Drain and reserve.
- Mix cornflour with water and keep handy.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or wok.
- Cook the beef, green onion and grated ginger until the beef shows just a little red.
- Add the beef broth, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce and tofu, being careful not to break up the tofu very much.
- Simmer over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, until the pieces of tofu are warm inside.
- Stir in the asparagus.
- When the asparagus is done to your liking add cornflour-water mixture and remove from heat.
This was super good! I did make a mistake and used silken tofu, which made the texture a little iffy, but the flavor was excellent. Next time I will serve this over rice (making rice today with the leftover sauce, it's so good). Thanks mianbao!
Had all the ingredients, did it as prescribed and everyone enjoyed. It was a very nice meal and will definitely recur with this recipe, One to keek and it gives you the opportunity to eat tofu.
THis was a nice dish for using tofu....It really soaked in the flavor. I only gave a 3 star because of the beef. Although I sliced it thinly, I thought, it came out a little tough. My suggestion is to remove the beef after lite frying and add it back with the asparagus to finish cooking.