Recipe by WJKing
This is another hearty meal. My DH loves this one, too! Enjoy!
Top Review by Val Johnson
Wow! This is a winner in my home. I was able to prepare the meat portion of the recipe the night before. The following evening while it was baking I made the potato topping. I used cheddar cheese instead of American and it was just fab! Thanks for sharring this with us!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or turkey or venison)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 1 cup American cheese, shredded, divided (we sometimes use Cheddar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meat, bread crumbs, egg, onion, ketchup, salt and pepper.
- Pat meat into an 8" square baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Drain fat.
- Combine mashed potatoes and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spread over meat.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes.