Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another hearty meal. My DH loves this one, too! Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or turkey or venison)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 1 cup American cheese, shredded, divided (we sometimes use Cheddar)
- Combine meat, bread crumbs, egg, onion, ketchup, salt and pepper.
- Pat meat into an 8" square baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Drain fat.
- Combine mashed potatoes and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spread over meat.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes.
Wow! This is a winner in my home. I was able to prepare the meat portion of the recipe the night before. The following evening while it was baking I made the potato topping. I used cheddar cheese instead of American and it was just fab! Thanks for sharring this with us!
I enjoyed making this and there weren't any complaints at the table either! I sauteed some mushrooms and added about 1 tsp. of worstershire sauce to the meatloaf, but otherwise, made it as stated. The biggest trouble you will have is peeling the potatos and bringing the water to boil, otherwise, it is smoothe sailing. Thanks!
This was great! The only thing I did different was that I used cheddar cheese instead of American. I baked the meat mixture, put the potatoes on top and then froze it. When it was time to eat it I thawed it and then cooked it for about 25 minutes. This was super easy and a great OAMC recipe.