Recipe by *christie
This was in our local paper and we thought we would give it a try. It is a recipe from Graham Hawkes. It is lovely!!!
- 1 kg blade steak
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups stout beer (Any dark beer)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme (I used just over a teaspoon of dried)
- 18 prunes
- 1 orange, rind of, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into 5cm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and brown the meat in batches.
- Transfer the meat to a casserole dish that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Sprinkle the flour and mix with the onions. Once well mixed gradually add the stock and the beer and mix into a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and add the raw bacon, thyme, prunes and orange rind.
- Place in a preheated oven at 160ºc and cook for 2 hours.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato and crusty bread.