4 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Lou van's Note:
Slightly adapted pie originally from the Hairy Bikers, posted here so that I don't lose it. Prep time includes 3 hours marinading time, but ideally marinade overnight. I intend to try it cooking the filling in a slow cooker but haven't got round to it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g puff pastry (buy it pre-prepared, lifes too short to make puff pastry)
- 1 kg braising steak, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 400 ml leicestershire pale ale
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 100 g chestnut button mushrooms
- 8 shallots, peeled, halved
- 500 ml beef stock
- 75 g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (for glazing the pastry)
- 1Use the pastry to line a medium sized oven proof pie dish.
- 2For the pie filling, place the beef, garlic, thyme, peppercorns and ale into a bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, but preferably overnight.
- 3Remove the beef from the marinade, pat dry with kitchen paper and dredge in the seasoned flour. Strain the marinade through a fine sieve into a clean bowl and set aside.
- 4Heat the oil and 1 tbsp of the butter in a flameproof casserole dish and fry the beef in small batches for 2-3 minutes each time, or until browned all over. Once the meat is browned, remove from the casserole dish and set aside.
- 5Return the casserole dish to the heat and fry the mushrooms and shallots for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- 6Return the beef and the reserved marinating liquid to the casserole and add the beef stock. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1½ hours, or until the beef is tender.
- 7Strain off half of the cooking liquid from the casserole dish and set aside to make gravy for serving.
- 8Crumble the Stilton into the casserole and stir until melted. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside to cool.
- 9Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- 10Put the pie filling into the pie shell and top with a layer of pastry. -Remember to cut slits in the top and crimp the edges together, then glaze with beaten egg.
- 11Cook for approx 40 mins until pastry is golden.
- 12Place the reserved cooking liquid into a clean pan and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until reduced to a gravy consistency. Stir in the remaining tbsp of butter until melted, and the sauce is smooth and glossy. Keep warm.
- 13Serve the pie with the gravy and veg (celeriac mash goes well).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Stilton Pie
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1221.4
- Calories from Fat 819
- Total Fat 91.0 g
- Saturated Fat 33.5 g
- Cholesterol 252.2 mg
- Sodium 1005.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 59.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: