Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on a recipe from an article in Bon Appetit's May 1985 issues called "The Exciting Flavors of Tunisia" by Copeland Marks.
- 4 1⁄2 white bread, slices, crusts trimmed
- 1 lb spinach, stemmed and insed, do not dry
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- all-purpose flour
- olive oil (for deep frying)
- Moisten bread with water; squeeze dry. Chop finely and set aside.
- Cook spinach in heavy large skillet over high heat and stir until wilted. Cool slightly; squeeze dry. Finely chop.
- In medium bowl, mix spinach, beef, bread, onion, eggs, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Shape into 14 patties (about 1/2 cup each).
- Dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and fry until crisp on outside and cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
These meatballs were moist and wonderfully flavoursome. I moistened my bread with red wine instead of water, and I used baby spinach leaves, including the stalks which are always soft enough not to need removing. I halved the salt and doubled the garlic (personal taste preferences). Because I'm always trying to lower the fat content, I cooked my meatballs on a tray, covered loosely with foil, at a medium temperature in the oven for about 25 minutes. I also added 1/2 cup of fresh, chopped parsley in step 3. We ate these with pasta and MarraMamba's The Simplest Tomato Sauce Ever (Marcella Hazan) 273976. Loved these, mersaydees: thanks for sharing this great recipe which I know I'll make again. Made for NA*ME Tag.
These were very good. I havved the recipe and made regular sized burgers. Served with mashed potatoes and beef gravy. Very yummy and a good way to sneak the green stuff into DH although DD didn't fall for it....
OOH!! Deep fried meatloaf meatballs with spinach to make them 'heathier'? Tough to beat that. Even THE PICKY ONE loved them! Fun to make, fun to eat & delicious. Made for NA*ME Tag. :)